SolarCity Expands to Nevada
SolarCity plans to open a new location in Nevada, and expects to create hundreds of jobs in the state in the next several years.
SolarCity says its expansion is due in large part to the efforts of Governor Brian Sandoval and the Nevada Office of Economic Development.
The new location will initially house new expansions of key administrative divisions, including portions of the company’s sales, asset management and customer care groups. SolarCity’s first solar projects in the state are also underway. The company is building more than 100 solar projects in Nevada housing communities in partnership with Shea Homes.
While SolarCity is expanding, last week Chinese solar manufacturer Wuxi Suntech declared bankruptcy and also announced it was closing its sole US manufacturing plant in Arizona due to import tariffs and global oversupply of solar modules.
Since SolarCity is not a manufacturer of solar modules, it is not being negatively impacted by import tariffs and benefits from oversupply of modules, which lowers prices.
According to a SolarCity spokesman, the company deploys a variety of solar modules, including Yingli, Kyocera, Trina, Suniva and BenQ. “We generally consider ourselves panel agnostic,” he said. “A particular project’s specifications, consumer preference, and supply usually drive considerations about the type of panels we use.”
Nevada receives among the greatest amount of direct sunlight of any state in the US. Though the state hosts a handful of large solar power plants, its potential for distributed residential and commercial solar power generation is largely untapped, according to SolarCity.
Nevada Senator Harry Reid in 2008 helped to pass an eight-year extension of the federal tax credits for residential and commercial solar installations.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing