SolarCity Expands to Nevada
SolarCity plans to open a new location in Nevada, and expects to create hundreds of jobs in the state in the next several years.
SolarCity says its expansion is due in large part to the efforts of Governor Brian Sandoval and the Nevada Office of Economic Development.
The new location will initially house new expansions of key administrative divisions, including portions of the company’s sales, asset management and customer care groups. SolarCity’s first solar projects in the state are also underway. The company is building more than 100 solar projects in Nevada housing communities in partnership with Shea Homes.
While SolarCity is expanding, last week Chinese solar manufacturer Wuxi Suntech declared bankruptcy and also announced it was closing its sole US manufacturing plant in Arizona due to import tariffs and global oversupply of solar modules.
Since SolarCity is not a manufacturer of solar modules, it is not being negatively impacted by import tariffs and benefits from oversupply of modules, which lowers prices.
According to a SolarCity spokesman, the company deploys a variety of solar modules, including Yingli, Kyocera, Trina, Suniva and BenQ. “We generally consider ourselves panel agnostic,” he said. “A particular project’s specifications, consumer preference, and supply usually drive considerations about the type of panels we use.”
Nevada receives among the greatest amount of direct sunlight of any state in the US. Though the state hosts a handful of large solar power plants, its potential for distributed residential and commercial solar power generation is largely untapped, according to SolarCity.
Nevada Senator Harry Reid in 2008 helped to pass an eight-year extension of the federal tax credits for residential and commercial solar installations.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape