SolarCity Lauds Nevada Decision to Grandfather Current Net Metering Customers
SolarCity CEO Lyndon Rive will not have to make good on a threat to pull out of Nevada rather than deal with a decision that would “end customer choice, damage the state’s economy, and jeopardize thousands of jobs.”
On September 13, both SolarCity and the regional energy provider NV Energy confirmed a settlement that would grandfather thousands of rooftop energy customers in the Silver State for the next 20 years – rather than force them to pay a raised, fixed fee for net metering. .
The pact comes after, on August 29, the Nevada Public Utilities Commission (PUC) excluded SolarCity from participating in the case (Docket Nos. 15-07041, 15-07042) on the grounds that the company “did not have a direct and substantial interest in the filings,” according to a report by the local news organization, the Las Vegas Review-Journal. .
In response to the filing of the stipulation negotiated by SolarCity, the Bureau of Consumer Protection, NV Energy and Public Utilities Commission Staff to grandfather solar customers in Nevada, Jon Wellinghoff, former Consumer Advocate for the State of Nevada and current SolarCity Chief Policy Officer, stated, “This agreement is a victory not only for 32,000 solar customers in Nevada, but also for all Americans who expect these investments to be protected. We urge the Public Utilities Commissioners to quickly ratify our agreement, in order to provide relief to our customers and all Nevada solar customers as soon as possible.”
The joint agreement has been filed with the Public Utilities Commission for approval, and he PUC is expected to rule on the agreement on September 16.
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- There’s Money in the Trash
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project