Short Wavelength Light Renders True White LEDs
Soraa‘s GaN on GaN lamps are correctly engineered to emit all colors of the rainbow, including violet, excite so-called “optical brightening agents” (OBAs) and perfectly render whiteness, the company says.
In the mid-2oth century, chemists developed OBAs that were incorporated into textiles and perform the function of absorbing short wavelength light and re-emitting in the blue, thus enhancing their whiteness
Until recently, electric light sources such as incandescent and fluorescent exhibited some short wavelength emission and interacted with OBA’s to render whiteness in a familiar and pleasant manner. However, most LED manufacturers in their race to offer efficient, low cost light sources skipped the short wavelength regime altogether, resulting in blue-LED based lighting products that cannot excite OBA’s and thus cannot render whiteness.
The company unveiled independent psychophysical research, conducted at Penn State University, that showed participants overwhelmingly preferred its full visible spectrum LED lamps to LED lamps that lacked the short wavelength range of the spectrum in rendering whiteness.
In November, Soraa announced plans to open a semiconductor fabrication plant in Buffalo, NY. The new facility is projected to open in 2015. Soraa currently operates an LED fabrication plant in Fremont, Calif., one of only a few in the US.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book