Short Wavelength Light Renders True White LEDs
Soraa‘s GaN on GaN lamps are correctly engineered to emit all colors of the rainbow, including violet, excite so-called “optical brightening agents” (OBAs) and perfectly render whiteness, the company says.
In the mid-2oth century, chemists developed OBAs that were incorporated into textiles and perform the function of absorbing short wavelength light and re-emitting in the blue, thus enhancing their whiteness
Until recently, electric light sources such as incandescent and fluorescent exhibited some short wavelength emission and interacted with OBA’s to render whiteness in a familiar and pleasant manner. However, most LED manufacturers in their race to offer efficient, low cost light sources skipped the short wavelength regime altogether, resulting in blue-LED based lighting products that cannot excite OBA’s and thus cannot render whiteness.
The company unveiled independent psychophysical research, conducted at Penn State University, that showed participants overwhelmingly preferred its full visible spectrum LED lamps to LED lamps that lacked the short wavelength range of the spectrum in rendering whiteness.
In November, Soraa announced plans to open a semiconductor fabrication plant in Buffalo, NY. The new facility is projected to open in 2015. Soraa currently operates an LED fabrication plant in Fremont, Calif., one of only a few in the US.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement