Short Wavelength Light Renders True White LEDs
Soraa‘s GaN on GaN lamps are correctly engineered to emit all colors of the rainbow, including violet, excite so-called “optical brightening agents” (OBAs) and perfectly render whiteness, the company says.
In the mid-2oth century, chemists developed OBAs that were incorporated into textiles and perform the function of absorbing short wavelength light and re-emitting in the blue, thus enhancing their whiteness
Until recently, electric light sources such as incandescent and fluorescent exhibited some short wavelength emission and interacted with OBA’s to render whiteness in a familiar and pleasant manner. However, most LED manufacturers in their race to offer efficient, low cost light sources skipped the short wavelength regime altogether, resulting in blue-LED based lighting products that cannot excite OBA’s and thus cannot render whiteness.
The company unveiled independent psychophysical research, conducted at Penn State University, that showed participants overwhelmingly preferred its full visible spectrum LED lamps to LED lamps that lacked the short wavelength range of the spectrum in rendering whiteness.
In November, Soraa announced plans to open a semiconductor fabrication plant in Buffalo, NY. The new facility is projected to open in 2015. Soraa currently operates an LED fabrication plant in Fremont, Calif., one of only a few in the US.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Descriptive, Predictive, Prescriptive: Transforming Asset and Facilities Management with Analytics
- Smarter Asset Management for the Nuclear Power Imperative
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing