Short Wavelength Light Renders True White LEDs
Soraa‘s GaN on GaN lamps are correctly engineered to emit all colors of the rainbow, including violet, excite so-called “optical brightening agents” (OBAs) and perfectly render whiteness, the company says.
In the mid-2oth century, chemists developed OBAs that were incorporated into textiles and perform the function of absorbing short wavelength light and re-emitting in the blue, thus enhancing their whiteness
Until recently, electric light sources such as incandescent and fluorescent exhibited some short wavelength emission and interacted with OBA’s to render whiteness in a familiar and pleasant manner. However, most LED manufacturers in their race to offer efficient, low cost light sources skipped the short wavelength regime altogether, resulting in blue-LED based lighting products that cannot excite OBA’s and thus cannot render whiteness.
The company unveiled independent psychophysical research, conducted at Penn State University, that showed participants overwhelmingly preferred its full visible spectrum LED lamps to LED lamps that lacked the short wavelength range of the spectrum in rendering whiteness.
In November, Soraa announced plans to open a semiconductor fabrication plant in Buffalo, NY. The new facility is projected to open in 2015. Soraa currently operates an LED fabrication plant in Fremont, Calif., one of only a few in the US.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Combined Heat and Power
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management