Spray-On Solar Cells Offer More Efficient Fabrication
Residential Architect magazine has reported on a new method of fabricating solar cells: spray painting. A team of researchers at the University of Sheffield in the United Kingdom is the first to fabricate perovskite solar cells using a spray-painting process.
Perovskite is a mineral made of calcium titanium oxide. Perovskite-based solar cells are created much like organic cells, except that the key light-absorbing layer has been replaced with a spray-painted perovskite, which provides a significant boost in efficiency. The spray-painted cells offer the potential to combine the high performance of silicone-based solar cell technologies with a less energy-intensive production process.
Perovskite-based solar cells can achieve an efficiency rating of 19 percent—remarkably close to silcon-based solar cells’ efficiency rating of 25 percent. Using a spray-painting process to fabricate solar cells could also facilitate more efficient high-volume manufacturing.
Researchers in the United States, meanwhile, are developing transparent solar materials. Scientists at Michigan State University have invented a solar concentrating module that can be placed on windows to generate energy, while at the same time being transparent enough for people to have a clear view.
As the requests for sustainability data increase, the sustainability reporting chain becomes more complex. Understanding how to streamline your reporting chain is essential for keeping pace with these demands. The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain White Paper explores how to help simplify this increasingly complex process and optimize your reporting. Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management