Spray-On Solar Cells Offer More Efficient Fabrication
Residential Architect magazine has reported on a new method of fabricating solar cells: spray painting. A team of researchers at the University of Sheffield in the United Kingdom is the first to fabricate perovskite solar cells using a spray-painting process.
Perovskite is a mineral made of calcium titanium oxide. Perovskite-based solar cells are created much like organic cells, except that the key light-absorbing layer has been replaced with a spray-painted perovskite, which provides a significant boost in efficiency. The spray-painted cells offer the potential to combine the high performance of silicone-based solar cell technologies with a less energy-intensive production process.
Perovskite-based solar cells can achieve an efficiency rating of 19 percent—remarkably close to silcon-based solar cells’ efficiency rating of 25 percent. Using a spray-painting process to fabricate solar cells could also facilitate more efficient high-volume manufacturing.
Researchers in the United States, meanwhile, are developing transparent solar materials. Scientists at Michigan State University have invented a solar concentrating module that can be placed on windows to generate energy, while at the same time being transparent enough for people to have a clear view.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement