Spray-On Solar Cells Offer More Efficient Fabrication
Residential Architect magazine has reported on a new method of fabricating solar cells: spray painting. A team of researchers at the University of Sheffield in the United Kingdom is the first to fabricate perovskite solar cells using a spray-painting process.
Perovskite is a mineral made of calcium titanium oxide. Perovskite-based solar cells are created much like organic cells, except that the key light-absorbing layer has been replaced with a spray-painted perovskite, which provides a significant boost in efficiency. The spray-painted cells offer the potential to combine the high performance of silicone-based solar cell technologies with a less energy-intensive production process.
Perovskite-based solar cells can achieve an efficiency rating of 19 percent—remarkably close to silcon-based solar cells’ efficiency rating of 25 percent. Using a spray-painting process to fabricate solar cells could also facilitate more efficient high-volume manufacturing.
Researchers in the United States, meanwhile, are developing transparent solar materials. Scientists at Michigan State University have invented a solar concentrating module that can be placed on windows to generate energy, while at the same time being transparent enough for people to have a clear view.
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Building Energy Intelligence
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management