Sprint Saves $15 Million With Energy Management System in Retail Stores
During the next 10 years, Sprint expects to save approximately $15 million with the implementation of a new retail energy management system, which has been installed in more than 1,000 Sprint retail stores to date.
The energy management system, supplied by Proliphix, is expected to reduce Sprint’s retail energy costs by 15 percent, a $1.5 million annual savings, with an 18-month payback on the program. FrontStreet performed the initial installs of the 1000+ stores. Installs began in March 2012 and were substantially complete by August 2102.
The Web-based energy management system can remotely control heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC). Alarms from retail sites are received by a real estate operations command center. Performance indicators are viewable via a web-based interface by the energy management team and retail operations.
Ultimately, the new system should reduce Sprint’s monthly spend on electricity and natural gas and enable more energy efficient operations.By controlling mechanical systems through the new system, Sprint estimates it will reduce its electrical usage by 11 million kWh per year. Other projected benefits include:
- Reduction in response time for HVAC reported issues because the system can identify mechanical issues before they affect retail locations.
- Reduction of maintenance costs and reduced time on site for maintenance technicians.
Sprint also will implement a proactive unit replacement plan based on unit efficiency.
Sprint’s next retail energy savings effort will come from the installation of LED lighting in more than 600 retail stores. The project is estimated to reduce electrical usage by 2.8 million kWh per year.
Sprint recently became the first telecommunications company to join the Department of Energy’s Better Buildings program, committing to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by an absolute 20 percent by 2017.
- There’s Money in the Trash
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data