Sprint Saves $15 Million With Energy Management System in Retail Stores
During the next 10 years, Sprint expects to save approximately $15 million with the implementation of a new retail energy management system, which has been installed in more than 1,000 Sprint retail stores to date.
The energy management system, supplied by Proliphix, is expected to reduce Sprint’s retail energy costs by 15 percent, a $1.5 million annual savings, with an 18-month payback on the program. FrontStreet performed the initial installs of the 1000+ stores. Installs began in March 2012 and were substantially complete by August 2102.
The Web-based energy management system can remotely control heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC). Alarms from retail sites are received by a real estate operations command center. Performance indicators are viewable via a web-based interface by the energy management team and retail operations.
Ultimately, the new system should reduce Sprint’s monthly spend on electricity and natural gas and enable more energy efficient operations.By controlling mechanical systems through the new system, Sprint estimates it will reduce its electrical usage by 11 million kWh per year. Other projected benefits include:
- Reduction in response time for HVAC reported issues because the system can identify mechanical issues before they affect retail locations.
- Reduction of maintenance costs and reduced time on site for maintenance technicians.
Sprint also will implement a proactive unit replacement plan based on unit efficiency.
Sprint’s next retail energy savings effort will come from the installation of LED lighting in more than 600 retail stores. The project is estimated to reduce electrical usage by 2.8 million kWh per year.
Sprint recently became the first telecommunications company to join the Department of Energy’s Better Buildings program, committing to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by an absolute 20 percent by 2017.
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management