Staples, Bullfrog Partner for 100% Renewables
Staples Canada has partnered with Bullfrog Power for renewable energy at two office buildings and 11 stores across Canada. Through the agreement, Bullfrog Power will supply renewable electricity to the grid to match the power used by the Staples facilities.
Bullfrog Power is a Canadian power company that offers renewable energy solutions for homes and businesses. Bullfrog’s electricity comes exclusively from wind and hydro facilities that have been certified as low impact by Environment Canada under its EcoLogo program, the company said.
EcoLogo is an environmental standard and certification mark founded by the Canadian government in 1988. It is an ISO-defined Type I eco-label, meaning that the program compares products and services with others in the same category, develops rigorous and scientifically relevant criteria that reflect the entire lifecycle of the product, and awards the logo to those companies that are third verified as in compliance with the criteria, according to the program website.
The partnership is part of Staples Canada’s long-term corporate strategy to improve the energy efficiency of operations, and increase its sustainable products and services offerings to customers, the company said. Other tenets of its energy strategy include the installation of energy management systems at 255 Canadian locations.
As well, more than 130 store locations participate in “Lights Out,” a community program which encourages businesses and buildings to minimize use of non-essential lighting during the months of June and July in order to conserve power, Staples said.
Staples Advantage holds ISO 14001 certification for environmental management systems.
Walmart Canada also purchases renewable energy through Bullfrog Power.
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Practical Guide to Transforming Energy Data into Better Buildings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- Let's Do The Math for DR