State Funds for Energy Efficiency: Florida Schools, Kentucky Farms
Kentucky has made available $1.75 million for farm energy-efficiency or renewable energy projects.
The 2013 On-Farm Energy Efficiency & Production Incentives program, offered through the Kentucky Agricultural Development Fund (KADF), provides 50 percent reimbursement of the actual cost of a qualified energy saving or renewable energy project, up to $15,000. Permissible items include, but are not limited to, energy audits, energy efficient farm building components, on-farm energy upgrades and on-farm energy efficiency training.
In 2012, the program’s $1.2 million in incentives funded projects at 140 farm families from 40 counties, according to Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear.
For 2013, the KADB’s commitment of $1 million leveraged additional funds through the Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet to bring the total available amount $1.75 million.
The application is available online, and the deadline for the first round of 2013 applications is April 26.
In other energy-efficiency funding news, Florida lawmakers have proposed a bill, HF 320, that would establish a revolving loan program using state bonding proceeds, Patch.com reports. The money would then fund capital improvement projects that would reduce schools’ GHG emissions and improve indoor air quality.
The bill would require school districts that want access to the funding to first apply for a loan, and submit a description of the proposed energy improvements and total estimated cost. Additionally, school districts would have to hire an independent contractor to conduct an energy audit to determine cost savings from the improvements.
School districts could receive up to half the total project cost from the state, according to the proposed legislation, and the commissioner of commerce would administer the loan program.
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Gartner Magic Quadrant