Minnesota Approves Behavioral Program Savings
A recent impact evaluation conducted by Illume Advising for the Minnesota Department of Commerce, Division of Energy Resources determined that the Accelerated Innovations MyMeter energy engagement program demonstrated significant energy savings resulting from behavioral changes made by residential utility customers as a result of their interaction with MyMeter in Minnesota.
The evaluation quantified the impact of MyMeter on participant energy usage across four Minnesota utility companies. These verified findings allow the participating utilities to claim behaviorally induced energy savings in program year 2013 per application of the average savings method used in the evaluation.
Average annual savings for residential customers ranged from 1.8 percent to 2.8 percent for customers opting-in to MyMeter. Savings persisted at a steady level during the first two years of participation and were higher for participants with higher baseline usage. The evaluation also found that participants engaging with the energy use feedback portal for more than six months achieved nearly double the savings.
This engagement provides the customer insight into and a better understanding of how they are consuming energy, how much they are using and how to control and reduce their energy use.
This is a step in the right direction for behavioral energy efficiency in the United States. According to a report from The Advanced Energy Economy (AEE), the average utility customer spends nine minutes per year thinking about their energy use.
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Approaches to Managing EHS&S Data
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Planning for a Sustainable Future