Minnesota Approves Behavioral Program Savings
A recent impact evaluation conducted by Illume Advising for the Minnesota Department of Commerce, Division of Energy Resources determined that the Accelerated Innovations MyMeter energy engagement program demonstrated significant energy savings resulting from behavioral changes made by residential utility customers as a result of their interaction with MyMeter in Minnesota.
The evaluation quantified the impact of MyMeter on participant energy usage across four Minnesota utility companies. These verified findings allow the participating utilities to claim behaviorally induced energy savings in program year 2013 per application of the average savings method used in the evaluation.
Average annual savings for residential customers ranged from 1.8 percent to 2.8 percent for customers opting-in to MyMeter. Savings persisted at a steady level during the first two years of participation and were higher for participants with higher baseline usage. The evaluation also found that participants engaging with the energy use feedback portal for more than six months achieved nearly double the savings.
This engagement provides the customer insight into and a better understanding of how they are consuming energy, how much they are using and how to control and reduce their energy use.
This is a step in the right direction for behavioral energy efficiency in the United States. According to a report from The Advanced Energy Economy (AEE), the average utility customer spends nine minutes per year thinking about their energy use.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management