Minnesota Approves Behavioral Program Savings
A recent impact evaluation conducted by Illume Advising for the Minnesota Department of Commerce, Division of Energy Resources determined that the Accelerated Innovations MyMeter energy engagement program demonstrated significant energy savings resulting from behavioral changes made by residential utility customers as a result of their interaction with MyMeter in Minnesota.
The evaluation quantified the impact of MyMeter on participant energy usage across four Minnesota utility companies. These verified findings allow the participating utilities to claim behaviorally induced energy savings in program year 2013 per application of the average savings method used in the evaluation.
Average annual savings for residential customers ranged from 1.8 percent to 2.8 percent for customers opting-in to MyMeter. Savings persisted at a steady level during the first two years of participation and were higher for participants with higher baseline usage. The evaluation also found that participants engaging with the energy use feedback portal for more than six months achieved nearly double the savings.
This engagement provides the customer insight into and a better understanding of how they are consuming energy, how much they are using and how to control and reduce their energy use.
This is a step in the right direction for behavioral energy efficiency in the United States. According to a report from The Advanced Energy Economy (AEE), the average utility customer spends nine minutes per year thinking about their energy use.
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software