StatWeather Forecasts Heavy Tropical Storm Season
Contrary to government predictions, StatWeather is forecasting above normal tropical storm activity for the 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Season, with the following key target areas: South Florida, the Louisiana Gulf Coast and the North Carolina coast. StatWeather predicts the South Florida coast as having the greatest likelihood of tropical storm and hurricane activity, which could cause electrical outages for businesses.
Unlike traditional meteorology, which looks at present conditions and uses radar and other technologies to predict a short-term forecast, StatWeather uses 120 years of historical data and algorithms to analyze big patterns and deliver a probability-based forecast. It’s a science that converges meteorology and math known as statistical climatology.
Ria Persad, president and CEO of StatWeather, is again predicting a different forecast for the summer season than traditional meteorologists, which are calling for a less active hurricane season and calm Atlantic activity. Persad says these are the same agencies and vendors who called for an active season in 2013, which never occurred. StatWeather last year correctly called for a more inactive hurricane season, going against the grain.
Photo: Hurricane via Shutterstock
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- The Top 5 Things You Should Know about Big Energy Data
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement