Steelcase Commits to 100% Renewable Energy
Office furniture maker Steelcase says its renewable energy investment is equivalent to 100 percent of its global electricity consumption.
This long-term commitment makes Steelcase the 15th largest 100 percent renewable energy purchaser in the United States according to the EPA’s Green Power Partnership. In addition, the company’s energy strategy has reduced its energy use by 60 percent since it began tracking its consumption in 2001.
Steelcase will purchase its renewable energy credits (RECs) from a portfolio that includes newer projects and non-emitting sources like wind and hydroelectric energy in North America and Europe.
Steelcase says it is focused on identifying innovative ways to build energy efficiency into its operations. It is also committed to help customers optimize their own real estate and energy use.
In an effort to expand positive impact, Steelcase has created a program that will encourage the company’s suppliers to purchase clean RECs from new wind energy facilities that came online in 2011 or later. Those partners choosing to participate will benefit from Steelcase’s volume discount pricing.
Photo: USFWS Flickr photostream
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management