Strata Solar Plans 100 MW Solar Farm
Strata Solar is submitting an application for a 100 MW DC solar farm in Warsaw, NC, which will be the largest of its kind within the state.
Strata Solar will be submitting the Chapel Hill Solar Farm project to the NC Utilities Commission within the month and plans to break ground at the end of 2013. When built, the farm will have about 415,000 solar modules, said Blair Schoof, VP of marketing/sales with Strata Solar.
Construction of the farm will take 10-12 months and will require a crew of nearly 400 people for the duration of the build. Once operational, the farm could generate as much as 138,000 kWh of electricity each year, which is enough to power over 11,500 homes.
Strata Solar is in the process of negotiating a power purchase agreement with Progress Energy, wherein Progress would buy the power from the farm. “We’ve worked with them before, so we’re pretty confident,” said Schoof.
In the past year, Strata Solar has unveiled 12 new solar farms as the company continues to advance North Carolina’s solar industry. Chapel Hill, NC-headquartered Strata will be constructing over 25 farms in 2013.
While there are many massive-scale solar farms in the deserts of the western US, they’re rare on the East Coast where the land is more topographically diverse and the weather isn’t as sunny.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement