Strata Solar Plans 100 MW Solar Farm
Strata Solar is submitting an application for a 100 MW DC solar farm in Warsaw, NC, which will be the largest of its kind within the state.
Strata Solar will be submitting the Chapel Hill Solar Farm project to the NC Utilities Commission within the month and plans to break ground at the end of 2013. When built, the farm will have about 415,000 solar modules, said Blair Schoof, VP of marketing/sales with Strata Solar.
Construction of the farm will take 10-12 months and will require a crew of nearly 400 people for the duration of the build. Once operational, the farm could generate as much as 138,000 kWh of electricity each year, which is enough to power over 11,500 homes.
Strata Solar is in the process of negotiating a power purchase agreement with Progress Energy, wherein Progress would buy the power from the farm. “We’ve worked with them before, so we’re pretty confident,” said Schoof.
In the past year, Strata Solar has unveiled 12 new solar farms as the company continues to advance North Carolina’s solar industry. Chapel Hill, NC-headquartered Strata will be constructing over 25 farms in 2013.
While there are many massive-scale solar farms in the deserts of the western US, they’re rare on the East Coast where the land is more topographically diverse and the weather isn’t as sunny.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Descriptive, Predictive, Prescriptive: Transforming Asset and Facilities Management with Analytics
- ARC Brief: Infrastructure: The Hidden Optimization Opportunity
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing