Streetlight Retrofit in China’s Foshan City Achieves 70% Energy Savings
The Utilities Department of Nanhai District, Foshan City, China, contracted with Chinese lighting company Guangdong Rongwen Energy Science and Technology to retrofit just over 14,000 LED streetlights, LEDs Magazine reports. Rongwen was tasked with providing a solution that would complement the city’s energy savings program and provide LED product procurement, construction, installation and commissioning, training, monitoring and verification. The project required more than a 66 percent energy savings rate and a 2 percent failure rate, with the average illumination above the national standard during the 10-year energy management contract (EMC).
Rongwen replaced high-wattage HPS streetlights with its lower wattage RW series COB LED streetlights, using a LonWorks control and management system.
Rongwen uses LonWorks in all of its EMC LED streetlight projects. Each LED streetlight has an integrated intelligent control module that can receive commands and send data to the iLon Smart server for streetlight management and maintenance. Rongwen used customer management system (CMS) provided by Streetlight.Vision to manage the system. Not only does the CMS support different dimming scenarios required by the government, it also supports “smart city” applications and other sensory systems required by the government, such as cameras.
According to the article, the retrofit reduced energy consumption between 66 and 75 percent compared to the HPS streetlights, saved 13.5 million kWh of energy per year, had a less than 2 percent failure rate and resulted in lower installation and maintenance costs.
This is not Rongwen’s first streetlight retrofit in Foshan City. Last year, Echelon Corporation worked with Rongwen to provide a lighting control system with 48,000 light emitting diode (LED) streetlights for the prefectures of Dongguan and Foshan in Guangdong province.
Photo via Shutterstock.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions