SunPower Solar System Powers 49ers Stadium
SunPower will supply 400 kW of its high-efficiency solar panels to the new San Francisco 49ers’ Santa Clara Stadium.
The company says the solar system will generate enough electricity over the course of a year to offset the power consumed by the stadium during 49ers home games.
As the official and exclusive solar technology partner of the San Francisco 49ers and the Santa Clara Stadium, SunPower solar panels will be used in three solar array-covered bridges, a solar canopy above the green roof on the suite tower portion of the stadium and over the 49ers training facility. The solar panels will be produced at SunPower’s Silicon Valley manufacturing facility, which is less than two miles away from the new $1.2 billion stadium.
The Santa Clara stadium, which will also host other sporting and entertainment events, includes a number of energy-efficient design features. In addition to PV panels and a green roof, these include water-conserving plumbing fixtures, energy-efficient building control systems and recycled materials. It is also close to public transit and has bicycle parking.
Earlier this year, the 49ers partnered with NRG Energy to help the facility become the first professional football stadium to open with LEED certification — and the first zero-energy sports venue in California. NRG says it will explore other sustainability efforts such as installing electrical vehicle charging stations at the stadium.
Earlier this month, Odebrecht Energia and Neoenergia announced plans for a solar energy plant in Arena Pernambuco, one of the stadiums of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil, located in São Lourenço da Mata. It is expected to be operational by June 2013.
Approximately $6.6 million will be invested in the solar energy plant that will generate 1 MW of installed capacity.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Descriptive, Predictive, Prescriptive: Transforming Asset and Facilities Management with Analytics
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing