SunPower Solar System Powers 49ers Stadium
SunPower will supply 400 kW of its high-efficiency solar panels to the new San Francisco 49ers’ Santa Clara Stadium.
The company says the solar system will generate enough electricity over the course of a year to offset the power consumed by the stadium during 49ers home games.
As the official and exclusive solar technology partner of the San Francisco 49ers and the Santa Clara Stadium, SunPower solar panels will be used in three solar array-covered bridges, a solar canopy above the green roof on the suite tower portion of the stadium and over the 49ers training facility. The solar panels will be produced at SunPower’s Silicon Valley manufacturing facility, which is less than two miles away from the new $1.2 billion stadium.
The Santa Clara stadium, which will also host other sporting and entertainment events, includes a number of energy-efficient design features. In addition to PV panels and a green roof, these include water-conserving plumbing fixtures, energy-efficient building control systems and recycled materials. It is also close to public transit and has bicycle parking.
Earlier this year, the 49ers partnered with NRG Energy to help the facility become the first professional football stadium to open with LEED certification — and the first zero-energy sports venue in California. NRG says it will explore other sustainability efforts such as installing electrical vehicle charging stations at the stadium.
Earlier this month, Odebrecht Energia and Neoenergia announced plans for a solar energy plant in Arena Pernambuco, one of the stadiums of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil, located in São Lourenço da Mata. It is expected to be operational by June 2013.
Approximately $6.6 million will be invested in the solar energy plant that will generate 1 MW of installed capacity.
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 6 for 2016: Global Energy Market Trends
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions - Findings from Leading Professionals
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles