SunPower Solar System Powers 49ers Stadium
SunPower will supply 400 kW of its high-efficiency solar panels to the new San Francisco 49ers’ Santa Clara Stadium.
The company says the solar system will generate enough electricity over the course of a year to offset the power consumed by the stadium during 49ers home games.
As the official and exclusive solar technology partner of the San Francisco 49ers and the Santa Clara Stadium, SunPower solar panels will be used in three solar array-covered bridges, a solar canopy above the green roof on the suite tower portion of the stadium and over the 49ers training facility. The solar panels will be produced at SunPower’s Silicon Valley manufacturing facility, which is less than two miles away from the new $1.2 billion stadium.
The Santa Clara stadium, which will also host other sporting and entertainment events, includes a number of energy-efficient design features. In addition to PV panels and a green roof, these include water-conserving plumbing fixtures, energy-efficient building control systems and recycled materials. It is also close to public transit and has bicycle parking.
Earlier this year, the 49ers partnered with NRG Energy to help the facility become the first professional football stadium to open with LEED certification — and the first zero-energy sports venue in California. NRG says it will explore other sustainability efforts such as installing electrical vehicle charging stations at the stadium.
Earlier this month, Odebrecht Energia and Neoenergia announced plans for a solar energy plant in Arena Pernambuco, one of the stadiums of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil, located in São Lourenço da Mata. It is expected to be operational by June 2013.
Approximately $6.6 million will be invested in the solar energy plant that will generate 1 MW of installed capacity.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide