Survey Says Federal Managers Back Energy Efficiency
A vast majority of federal decision makers believe energy efficiency is among the most effective means of meeting the government’s energy needs. The Zogby International survey of 204 government leaders was sponsored by the Alliance to Save Energy and Schneider Electric.
The survey shows 74 percent agree energy efficiency is a major tool to meet energy requirements as well as cut costs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. But a nearly identical number, 70 percent, believe the sluggish economy and the prospect of tighter budgets affect their ability to pursue energy efficiency projects.
Other obstacles include the lack of funding (37 percent), organizational barriers, such as procedures (20 percent), and a lack of internal enthusiasm (18 percent).
Specific findings from the survey include:
- 87 percent say energy is important to fulfilling their agency’s core mission.
- 56 percent of respondents say their current culture encourages energy efficiency.
- 29 percent consider energy efficiency among the agency’s top five priorities, with 36 percent listing it as a second tier priority.
- The majority of respondents grade their progress on meeting energy efficiency mandates at a B (38 percent) or C (31 percent) level, with only 6 percent grading their agency’s efforts at the A level.
The main drivers for pursuing energy efficiency include cost savings (45 percent), environmental benefits (17 percent) and federal law and policy (12 percent).
According to the Alliance to Save Energy, the survey demonstrates that support and tools inside the government to support energy efficiency are lacking.
Additional findings point to progress made on the use of private sector financing to overcome capital constraints, facility auditing and metering, and areas of focus to improve energy efficiency initiatives.
The full survey is available here.
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- The Sustainable Edge™
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green