Auto Manufacturers Aim to Produce Vehicles at Sustainable Facilities
Major automakers are improving their production factories, with waste reduction plans, solar power and energy use reduction plans in order to enhance the sustainability reputation of their electric vehicle production lines, Green Car Reports said.
Among them, Honda is developing a test track facility will contain 70,000 solar panels, powering facilities for its car development, and selling it excess renewable energy. Subaru’s plant in Lafayette, Indiana, instituted a zero-landfill, 100-percent recycling policy, Green Car Reports said.
Earlier this year, Volkswagen opened a solar park on 33 acres adjacent to its LEED Platinum manufacturing plant in Chattanooga, Tenn. The 9.5 MW solar park contains 33,600 solar modules from JA Solar designed to produce 13.1 gigawatt hours of electricity per year.
Volkswagen will model their future production facilities on the Chattanooga plant with plans to become a 10 million-unit car company by 2018. Production will expand with four factories under construction in China and an Audi facility in Mexico, Wards Auto writes.
Smaller companies such as Tesla Motors and Elio motors have occupied older factories rather than building entirely new facilities, Green Car Reports said.
In terms of clean energy research and development, Toyota had the most clean energy patents in a year, 207 patents in 2012, taking the lead position from GE. Toyota received the highest number of clean energy patents in every quarter of 2012. Honda continues to lead in overall clean energy patents granted since 2002, and registered 87 patents in 2012.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Managing Enterprise Assets and IT Assets in a Converged World
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems