Swiss Smart Grid Pilot Announced by IBM
IBM announced it has joined a new consortium that will pilot a smart grid based on renewable energy in Switzerland. The unique project called Flexlast will use freezer warehouses as a buffer to help balance energy fluctuations generated from sun and wind availability on the power grid. For energy and utility companies this has the potential to increase the use of renewable energy, balance grid loads, reduce failures and ultimately build a smart grid that will be capable of managing future energy requirements.
In addition to IBM, Flexlast is a collaboration between Migros, Switzerland’s largest retailer and supermarket chain; BKW, the electricity utility provider of the Canton of Bern; and Swissgrid, the national grid operator.
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software