Swiss Smart Grid Pilot Announced by IBM
IBM announced it has joined a new consortium that will pilot a smart grid based on renewable energy in Switzerland. The unique project called Flexlast will use freezer warehouses as a buffer to help balance energy fluctuations generated from sun and wind availability on the power grid. For energy and utility companies this has the potential to increase the use of renewable energy, balance grid loads, reduce failures and ultimately build a smart grid that will be capable of managing future energy requirements.
In addition to IBM, Flexlast is a collaboration between Migros, Switzerland’s largest retailer and supermarket chain; BKW, the electricity utility provider of the Canton of Bern; and Swissgrid, the national grid operator.
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software