Swiss Smart Grid Pilot Announced by IBM
IBM announced it has joined a new consortium that will pilot a smart grid based on renewable energy in Switzerland. The unique project called Flexlast will use freezer warehouses as a buffer to help balance energy fluctuations generated from sun and wind availability on the power grid. For energy and utility companies this has the potential to increase the use of renewable energy, balance grid loads, reduce failures and ultimately build a smart grid that will be capable of managing future energy requirements.
In addition to IBM, Flexlast is a collaboration between Migros, Switzerland’s largest retailer and supermarket chain; BKW, the electricity utility provider of the Canton of Bern; and Swissgrid, the national grid operator.
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Combined Heat and Power
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement