Swiss Smart Grid Pilot Announced by IBM
IBM announced it has joined a new consortium that will pilot a smart grid based on renewable energy in Switzerland. The unique project called Flexlast will use freezer warehouses as a buffer to help balance energy fluctuations generated from sun and wind availability on the power grid. For energy and utility companies this has the potential to increase the use of renewable energy, balance grid loads, reduce failures and ultimately build a smart grid that will be capable of managing future energy requirements.
In addition to IBM, Flexlast is a collaboration between Migros, Switzerland’s largest retailer and supermarket chain; BKW, the electricity utility provider of the Canton of Bern; and Swissgrid, the national grid operator.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- 6 for 2016: Global Energy Market Trends
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity