Target, Macy’s, Kohl’s Vow to Upgrade Interior Lighting
The Energy Department says more than 65 organizations are participating in the Better Building Alliance’s Interior Lighting Campaign (ILC) to drive greater energy efficiency. The goal for the first year is for partners to install 100,000 high-efficiency troffers, or fluorescent lighting fixtures. Upgrading 100,000 fixtures can reduce energy use by 5 million kWh annually.
Troffer lighting makes up half of all fluorescent lighting fixtures and consumes nearly 96 billion kWh annually, says DOE. If the United States upgraded all troffer fixtures to meet the performance requirements defined in the ILC, the US could save over $2 billion annually in electricity costs.
ILC is organized with support from the Building Owners and Managers Association International, the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America, and the International Facility Management Association. By working with these trade associations, the Energy Department reaches key stakeholders, and establishes opportunities to provide technical assistance and exchange guidance and best practices.
The following organizations have committed to upgrading to high efficiency troffer lighting and strategies that can be shared with others:
- City of Gillette
- Cleveland Clinic
- Kohl’s Department Stores
- City of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- U.S. Army Reserves 63rd Regional Support Command
- U.S. General Services Administration
- Vandenberg Air Force Base
- Yamaha Motor Corporation
In addition, 56 others including utilities, energy efficiency groups, and manufacturers are supporting ILC and will feature products and services and encourage their customers to join the campaign.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management