TCAP Member Cities Receive $750,000 in Rebates
Nearly 90 percent of the Texas Coalition for Affordable Power (TCAP’s) members will receive adjusted disbursements – ranging from a few hundred dollars to tens of thousands – based on their individual electric usage and other factors.
Since 2011, the Austin-based nonprofit coalition said TCAP members have received more than $8 million in refund checks. For instance, the City of Arlington will enjoy a rebate of about $52,000 this month and has received a total of about $500,000 since 2011; while Corpus Christi will be disbursed $77,000 and has been issued about $890,000 in rebates since 2011.
By purchasing in bulk – about 1.4 billion kWh in annual consumption – TCAP confers member cities with contractual clout. “This is an important benefit of TCAP membership, and one you won’t see offered by for-profit electric companies,” said TCAP Executive Director Jay Doegey. “TCAP contracts also deliver long-term savings to cities and rock-solid protections against electric market volatility that otherwise wreaks havoc on city budgets.”
TCAP member cities in West Texas have not been included in this year’s largesse, for reasons relating to power transmission and distribution constraints in the West Zone of the ERCOT grid. However, TCAP member municipalities in West Texas typically enjoy the lowest energy charges among TCAP members, the coalition said.
TCAP also provides members with access to professional energy consultants and advocacy before the Texas Legislature and state regulators. Because high energy costs can impact municipal budgets and the ability to fund essential services, TCAP, as part of its mission, actively promotes affordable energy policies.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- There’s Money in the Trash