Tesla Eyes Home Energy Storage
Musk said the company is considering the design of a stationary battery pack. It could resemble the Model S pack: flat, 5 inches off the wall, and with an integrated bi-directional inverter.
More details will be disclosed about the home battery system design toward the end of this year or early next year.
Tesla plans to build its own battery manufacturing complex, likely managed by its current supplier, Panasonic.
An early entry into the home market is SolarCity, which bundles Tesla’s battery systems with solar panels and markets them to consumers and businesses.
And the home market is attractive to everyone from manufacturers to installers. A promising market is emerging in California, where the state recently created an incentive program to encourage its utilities to use energy storage. Batteries may not be the only solution, but they are likely needed to store the increased amount of solar and wind energy on the grid.
Utilities could use energy storage to bank solar and wind electricity when there’s too much available and discharge the energy from storage and into the grid when demand is high.
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Integrated Building Optimization
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement