The Corporate Data Center of 2014
Sustainability is yet again the mantra for the corporate data center in the coming year, as greater demands are placed on the existing infrastructure. And with the expense and size required to maintain such structures, the traditional corporate data center may become obsolete.
So says Julius Neudorfer, who runs the ‘Hot Aisle Insight’ blog. He made predictions for the evolution of the data center industry in 2014.
“The traditional enterprise corporate data center’s (which up until recently represented a majority of data centers) days are numbered. Major corporations and even financial institutions want to concentrate their key resources and capital on their core business,” he wrote.
Announcements of data centers touting efficiency or green credentials are routine and will only continue to be a benchmark that most aspire to.
“Will the coming year see more focus to make Zero Carbon datacenters that are able to utilize the IT based waste heat instead of just dumping it into the air or water? Even at a PUE of 1.001, each watt of IT becomes waste heat. These do exist to one degree or another (where the heat may be used to heat a nearby building), but they are still rare exceptions,” he wrote.
Among other observations, Neudorfer expects organizations to review their presumed need for direct data center ownership and operation. New data centers will strive toward local and sustainable energy resources, whether it’s solar power, fuel cells or other resources. And this may not be just the mega-sites for the Apples and Microsoft of the world, but for smaller companies and co-location providers. And energy efficiency will play a greater role.
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions - Findings from Leading Professionals
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles