The Corporate Data Center of 2014
Sustainability is yet again the mantra for the corporate data center in the coming year, as greater demands are placed on the existing infrastructure. And with the expense and size required to maintain such structures, the traditional corporate data center may become obsolete.
So says Julius Neudorfer, who runs the ‘Hot Aisle Insight’ blog. He made predictions for the evolution of the data center industry in 2014.
“The traditional enterprise corporate data center’s (which up until recently represented a majority of data centers) days are numbered. Major corporations and even financial institutions want to concentrate their key resources and capital on their core business,” he wrote.
Announcements of data centers touting efficiency or green credentials are routine and will only continue to be a benchmark that most aspire to.
“Will the coming year see more focus to make Zero Carbon datacenters that are able to utilize the IT based waste heat instead of just dumping it into the air or water? Even at a PUE of 1.001, each watt of IT becomes waste heat. These do exist to one degree or another (where the heat may be used to heat a nearby building), but they are still rare exceptions,” he wrote.
Among other observations, Neudorfer expects organizations to review their presumed need for direct data center ownership and operation. New data centers will strive toward local and sustainable energy resources, whether it’s solar power, fuel cells or other resources. And this may not be just the mega-sites for the Apples and Microsoft of the world, but for smaller companies and co-location providers. And energy efficiency will play a greater role.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Combined Heat and Power
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management