ThermoEnergy To Recover Ammonia, Facilitate Steam Generation at Coal Plant
ThermoEnergy Corp., a wastewater recovery and power generation company, has landed a $1.1 million contract to provide an ammonia recovery process system for Paiton Energy’s new coal-fired generating plant in Indonesia.
The ThermoEnergy ARP system will separate ammonia from the power plant’s wastewater, allowing the plant to recycle the water for steam generation. ThermoEnergy’s contract with Paiton Energy is its first foray into the power generation market, said Cary Bullock, the company’s CEO and chairman.
The company’s ammonia removal and recovery system was originally designed for industrial and municipal wastewater treatment facilities that must manage nitrogen pollution and waste sludge disposal. The system can recover 80 percent or more of the ammonia in centrate and filtrate streams and reuse or recycle it as ammonium sulfate fertilizer.
The APR system was selected after Paiton Energy and consulting engineering firm Burns and Roe determined it was more cost-effective and energy efficient than traditional air stripping technology, ThermoEnergy said. The wastewater company will begin manufacturing the ARP system in the fourth quarter of 2012 with onsite installation planned for the second quarter next year.
The Paiton 3 power station, located on Java Island, is the first super-critical coal unit in Indonesia and the largest and most efficient on the Java-Bali grid, ThermoEnergy said.
ThermoEnergy said it is now working to apply its technology into oil and gas hydraulic fracturing and biogas production.
Pictured: A ThermoEnergy ARP system schematic.
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Combined Heat and Power
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape