ThermoEnergy To Recover Ammonia, Facilitate Steam Generation at Coal Plant
ThermoEnergy Corp., a wastewater recovery and power generation company, has landed a $1.1 million contract to provide an ammonia recovery process system for Paiton Energy’s new coal-fired generating plant in Indonesia.
The ThermoEnergy ARP system will separate ammonia from the power plant’s wastewater, allowing the plant to recycle the water for steam generation. ThermoEnergy’s contract with Paiton Energy is its first foray into the power generation market, said Cary Bullock, the company’s CEO and chairman.
The company’s ammonia removal and recovery system was originally designed for industrial and municipal wastewater treatment facilities that must manage nitrogen pollution and waste sludge disposal. The system can recover 80 percent or more of the ammonia in centrate and filtrate streams and reuse or recycle it as ammonium sulfate fertilizer.
The APR system was selected after Paiton Energy and consulting engineering firm Burns and Roe determined it was more cost-effective and energy efficient than traditional air stripping technology, ThermoEnergy said. The wastewater company will begin manufacturing the ARP system in the fourth quarter of 2012 with onsite installation planned for the second quarter next year.
The Paiton 3 power station, located on Java Island, is the first super-critical coal unit in Indonesia and the largest and most efficient on the Java-Bali grid, ThermoEnergy said.
ThermoEnergy said it is now working to apply its technology into oil and gas hydraulic fracturing and biogas production.
Pictured: A ThermoEnergy ARP system schematic.
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- Johnson & Johnson: Innovating in Business by Making Sustainability Personal