Tire Plant Achieves 10.1% Energy Reduction Over 3 Years
Cooper Tire’s Texarkana, Ark., plant received Gold level certification from the US Department of Energy for achieving a 10.1 percent energy savings improvement over three years.
Cooper Tire Plant Engineer Craig Lloyd said the savings in the 2-million-sq-foot plant were achieved through a variety of means, including lighting upgrades, optimizing equipment speeds, fixing leaks, and training the staff about start-up and shut-down habits.
“It’s important to make sure people, as they leave their workstations, that they shut things down. The way you get that is to form an energy team and get employee involvement,” said Lloyd. Having a certified energy manager to oversee the project was also key, he said.
Cooper Tire’s Energy Manager Ken Leary, who led the audit to a successful outcome, has some advice for other energy managers undertaking such a project: “Make sure you maintain good records, documenting all energy actions taken.”
It’s difficult after the project starts to come up with the baseline start data, he said. Cooper Tire used an excel spreadsheet as its energy log to document everything.
The energy management system at the Cooper Tire manufacturing facility has been certified as meeting requirements of both ISO 50001:2011 and ANSI/MSE 50021:2012, which makes the plant a Superior Energy Performance Gold Certified Partner as promoted by the US DoE.
The Superior Energy Performance certification program for U.S. industrial facilities and commercial buildings is awarded to facilities that improve energy performance by more than 5 percent.
ISO 50001:2011 specifies requirements for establishing, implementing, maintaining and improving an energy management system, and it specifies requirements applicable to energy use and consumption, including measurement, documentation and reporting, design and procurement practices for equipment, systems, processes and personnel that contribute to energy performance.
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape