Energy R&D

DOE Awards $600,000 for Building Energy Efficiency Projects

Linda Hardesty

The US Department of Energy announced $600,000 in funding to help American universities establish stronger partnerships with industry and business in the area of building efficiency. Each selected project for the Building University Innovators and Leaders Development (BUILD) awards will receive $200,000 in funding; more than 50 percent of expenditures in each project will be   …Continue Reading


DOE Provides Energy-Related Small Business Grants

Linda Hardesty

The US Department of Energy Office of Science has awarded four Small Business Innovation Research grants targeting advances in solid-state lighting (SSL) and building-integrated heat and moisture exchange technology to the following recipients: VoltServer for Low-Cost, High Efficiency Integration of SSL and Building Controls using a PET Power Distribution System. This Phase II project will demonstrate   …Continue Reading


DOE Creates Clean Energy Impact Investment Center

Linda Hardesty

In February 2015, the White House launched the Clean Energy Investment Initiative to catalyze expanded private sector investment in technologies with the potential to reduce carbon pollution. To support this initiative, the DOE’s newly launched Clean Energy Impact Investment Center will provide: Single Point of Access for Information: The center will make information about DOE   …Continue Reading


$6.5M Awarded to 5 Projects That Help the Grid Host Renewables

Linda Hardesty

The Energy Department’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is awarding up to $6.5 million to five new partnerships that will address the challenge of enabling the nation’s electric grid to handle more renewable energy. NREL is managing the Integrated Network Testbed for Energy Grid Research and Technology Experimentation (INTEGRATE), and all of the following teams will   …Continue Reading


Kodak, ORNL Accelerate Roll-to-Roll Manufacturing

Karen Henry

Eastman Kodak and the US Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) have entered into an agreement to increase national competitiveness of roll-to-roll manufacturing in an effort to accelerate commercialization and manufacturing of next-generation battery and energy storage devices and materials. The agreement is intended to transform the development and manufacturing of new products in   …Continue Reading


Refrigerated Display Runs at 18% Greater Energy Efficiency

Linda Hardesty

MTL Cool, a Quebec, Canada-based manufacturer of refrigerated point-of-purchase display systems, has created an energy-saving display unit operating with a hydrocarbon-blend refrigerant. In April 2015, MTL Cool began testing HCR188C/R441A, a pure hydrocarbon blend refrigerant, in a standard commercial 46-inch-wide, two-door unit. To do so, technicians replaced the original Tecumseh compressor, rated for R134 (a   …Continue Reading


Device Extends Battery Life up to 800%

Linda Hardesty

According to Batteroo, most devices only tap 20 percent of a battery’s energy before the device stops functioning, and the batteries are thrown in the trash. Batteroo’s Batteriser lets users tap into the remaining 80 percent of energy in a battery. Batteriser is a reusable sleeve that slips over new and most used batteries. The   …Continue Reading


Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative

Karen Henry

Duke Energy Florida and the University of South Florida (USF) St. Petersburg have launched a solar battery project aimed at exploring better ways to store solar energy. Funded by a $1 million grant from Duke Energy, the solar battery project is already underway with the installation of a solar PV system on the top of   …Continue Reading


R&D Looks Into High-Volume Energy Storage of Heat

Linda Hardesty

The French company Babcock Wanson is conducting research and development into high-volume energy storage in the form of heat. Babcock Wanson, a subsidiary of the CNIM Group, offers a complete range of products and services for industrial boilers to help industries save energy. The company’s objective with its energy storage technology – EMR’Stock – is to   …Continue Reading


Glass Coating Could Make Solar Panels 6% More Efficient

Linda Hardesty

Scientists at the Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory are working on a glass coating that makes solar panels more efficient. The coating is anti-reflective and water-repellant. Water bounces off the coating, carrying dirt with it and cleaning the surface. The coating does not reflect light, and for solar panels, reflecting less sunlight means   …Continue Reading