Toray Plastics Builds Second Cogeneration Facility
Toray Plastics, a manufacturer of polyester, polypropylene, metallized, and bio-based films, will begin construction in August on a second cogeneration system at its 70-acre North Kingstown, RI, campus.
Toray has earmarked $22.7 million for the development of the new system, including funds from National Grid’s Energy Efficiency Program, developed in collaboration with the state of Rhode Island.
The company’s decision to build a new cogeneration unit is supported by the Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission and National Grid, which supplies 100 percent of the electricity distributed to Toray beyond Toray’s own cogenerated electricity.
Toray already operates a cogeneration system that supplies continuous power to its Lumirror polyester film division, which sustains manufacturing production even during severe weather events, such as Hurricane Sandy, and enables the company to provide uninterrupted customer service.
The new system, which is expected to be operational by March 2014, will be dedicated to powering production for the Torayfan polypropylene film division and other sites around the property.
It will dramatically reduce Toray’s demand on the supply of electricity to nearby Rhode Island communities, particularly during peak periods in the summer months.
Toray’s sustainability initiative, begun in 2004, also includes the use of solar power.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- 5 Must-Have Utility Billing Alerts
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- 9 Ways to Reduce Energy Costs
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems