Toray Plastics Builds Second Cogeneration Facility
Toray Plastics, a manufacturer of polyester, polypropylene, metallized, and bio-based films, will begin construction in August on a second cogeneration system at its 70-acre North Kingstown, RI, campus.
Toray has earmarked $22.7 million for the development of the new system, including funds from National Grid’s Energy Efficiency Program, developed in collaboration with the state of Rhode Island.
The company’s decision to build a new cogeneration unit is supported by the Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission and National Grid, which supplies 100 percent of the electricity distributed to Toray beyond Toray’s own cogenerated electricity.
Toray already operates a cogeneration system that supplies continuous power to its Lumirror polyester film division, which sustains manufacturing production even during severe weather events, such as Hurricane Sandy, and enables the company to provide uninterrupted customer service.
The new system, which is expected to be operational by March 2014, will be dedicated to powering production for the Torayfan polypropylene film division and other sites around the property.
It will dramatically reduce Toray’s demand on the supply of electricity to nearby Rhode Island communities, particularly during peak periods in the summer months.
Toray’s sustainability initiative, begun in 2004, also includes the use of solar power.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts