Toshiba Acquires cyberGRID; Cisco Closes JouleX Deal
Toshiba Corporation has acquired a 76 percent interest in cyberGRID, an Austrian developer and provider of energy management software. The purchase makes cyberGRID a Toshiba subsidiary.
Toshiba has made the development of its smart community business an important strategy. The company has made a series of strategic acquisitions, including Swiss-based Landis+Gyr, a provider of smart meter technology. The company also said it is developing its in-house capabilities in related areas.
In February this year, Toshiba acquired Consert Inc., a US-based energy management company, and the acquisition of cyberGRID brings a European developer of grid management solutions into Toshiba Group.
cyberGRID solutions include Virtual Power Plant (VPP), which matches electricity consumption with a variety of distributed generation. VPP brings distributed generation facilities, such as industrial generation clusters including photovoltaic generators, into the grid at times of high demand, the companies said. Once VPP is deployed, utilities can deploy new capacity within months without any major infrastructure investments.
The company has already introduced its commercially based system in Slovenia and is currently promoting sales to utilities across the Euro zone, cyberGRID said.
Also this week, Cisco completed the acquisition of privately held JouleX, a provider of enterprise IT energy management for network-attached and data center assets.
JouleX’s energy management solution paired with Cisco EnergyWise will provide customers with a way to measure, monitor and manage energy usage for network and IT systems across the enterprise, without the use of device-side agents, hardware meters or network configurations, the companies said.
JouleX says its software helps to reduce energy costs by monitoring, analyzing and managing energy usage of all network-connected devices and systems through a set of policies tailored for an enterprise’s needs.
Cisco paid about $107 million in cash and retention-based incentives in exchange for all JouleX shares.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement