Toshiba Buys LED Maker GreenStar
In February 2012, Toshiba International Corporation entered into an agreement with San Antonio, Texas-based GreenStar to produce the LED luminaires and has since been marketing, selling and distributing the GreenStar products within the United States, Canada and the Caribbean. Toshiba Lighting & Technology Corporation is coordinating with Toshiba International Corporation to manage the relationship with GreenStar and will continue selling its products in North America.
GreenStar’s product designs include photometric controls for light distribution and light uniformity. Additionally, GreenStar’s roadway product includes a built-in photocell that has a rated life that exceeds the life of a conventional NEMA twist lock photocell by as much as three times, according to the company.
The GreenStar LEDs are direct replacements for conventional HID lighting, such as high-pressure sodium or metal halide.
LEDs are gaining steam in the marketplace and were a hot topic of discussion at the recent LightFair conference in Philadelphia.
According to Charlie Szoradi, CEO of Independence LED, there are three main factors to consider when thinking of an LED retrofit:
- run time,
- inefficiency of existing lights,
- cost of electricity.
Retrofitting streetlights to LEDs is another trend. New York City, for example, is replacing all its streetlights, about 300,000 bulbs, with LEDs and expects to complete the project by 2019, resulting in a 35 percent decrease in energy consumption for streetlights.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing