Toshiba Buys LED Maker GreenStar
In February 2012, Toshiba International Corporation entered into an agreement with San Antonio, Texas-based GreenStar to produce the LED luminaires and has since been marketing, selling and distributing the GreenStar products within the United States, Canada and the Caribbean. Toshiba Lighting & Technology Corporation is coordinating with Toshiba International Corporation to manage the relationship with GreenStar and will continue selling its products in North America.
GreenStar’s product designs include photometric controls for light distribution and light uniformity. Additionally, GreenStar’s roadway product includes a built-in photocell that has a rated life that exceeds the life of a conventional NEMA twist lock photocell by as much as three times, according to the company.
The GreenStar LEDs are direct replacements for conventional HID lighting, such as high-pressure sodium or metal halide.
LEDs are gaining steam in the marketplace and were a hot topic of discussion at the recent LightFair conference in Philadelphia.
According to Charlie Szoradi, CEO of Independence LED, there are three main factors to consider when thinking of an LED retrofit:
- run time,
- inefficiency of existing lights,
- cost of electricity.
Retrofitting streetlights to LEDs is another trend. New York City, for example, is replacing all its streetlights, about 300,000 bulbs, with LEDs and expects to complete the project by 2019, resulting in a 35 percent decrease in energy consumption for streetlights.
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement