Trane Chillers Earn Type III EPD Verification
Trane has earned Type III Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) verification and registration for the entire Trane CenTraVac portfolio of chillers. Type III EPD verification proves the environmental claims regarding chiller performance and documents conformance with certification requirements of the International Standards Organization (ISO).
In 2011 Trane EarthWise CenTraVac chillers became the first commercial chillers to earn Type III EPD registration. This year, the certification has been expanded to include Trane Series L, Series S and Series E CenTraVac chillers.
An EPD reports the results of a product’s Life Cycle Assessment study as well as other information relevant to a product’s environmental profile. The phases of a product’s life considered include upstream production of the steel, copper and various other metals used in the production of the chiller; energy use over the average life of a chiller (based on a survey of all manufacturers’ chillers by the Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute); and reclamation of metals at the end of the chiller’s life. Near-zero refrigerant emissions and low emissions related to the generation of electricity for chiller operation are also evaluated.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection