Trends that Will Impact Supermarket Retailers in 2015
Chain Store Age has identified some trends that will impact supermarket retailers in the coming year.
1. Data-Driven Insight Spills Over to Back-of-House
Not only are retailers investing in data to cultivate closer customer relationships, they are also using data to reduce energy use and maintenance spending, which in turn has helped some retailers to achieve more competitive pricing. While supermarket retailers have primarily focused on low-hanging fruit, such as reducing energy use through LED lighting retrofits and advanced refrigeration rack control algorithms, the next wave of energy efficiency initiatives will focus on combining data to better invest their maintenance budgets.
2. Safe and Secure Data Access
Information and network security are top-of-mind concerns for retailers. As a result, extracting data from facility management systems has become increasingly complex. Retailers who understand their enterprise operations and use vendors who share an awareness of network security challenges will help retailers maintain security while also fulfilling their information needs.
3. Increase in Outsourcing
In addition to outsoursing non-core functions, retailers are increasingly outsourcing complex internal support services such as facilities management. By allowing a third party to manage energy and maintenance data, retailers are able to access a much more robust view of their enterprise operations and leverage that data in more meaningful ways.
Photo via Shutterstock.
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers