Twinwoods Heat & Power Selects Saxlund for 3.4 MW Biomass Power Station
UK bioenergy and materials handling firm Saxlund International has secured a contract to design, manufacture, install and commission a 3.4 MW waste wood biomass power station for Twinwoods Heat & Power in Bedfordshire. The plant is expected to go live in 2015.
The combined heat and power (CHP) plant will produce over 27,000 MWh of electricity and 8,000 MWh of district heating annually.
The Industrial Emissions Directive (IED) compliant solution will burn about 40,000 tons of waste wood from commercial and domestic recycling centers annually.
Under the contract, Saxlund has guaranteed to deliver at least 8,000 hours of operation between shutdown inspections. Key components include a fuel handling system with push floor and conveyors, the Saxlund combustion grate, integrated high-pressure steam boiler and steam pipework to feed a Siemens turbine system. Similar Saxlund installations, such as the Falbygens Energis plant in Sweden (pictured), are operating in a number of locations in Europe.
In the US, Upstate New York is also developing programs to turn waste wood into heat. Last month, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo launched Renewable Heat NY, a $27 million initiative aimed at building a low-emissions wood heating sector in the state.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- BuildingIQ Security
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement