U. of Arizona Aims to Cut Energy Bill 5-10% Using Online Dashboard
The University of Arizona hopes to cut its energy bill by 5 to 10 percent a year by showing students campus usage in real time via an online dashboard, KVOA Tucson reports.
The school spends about $37 million on utilities annually, Dan McCrady, a member of the UA Energy Management Facilities Team, tells the news channel. The hope, he explains, is that the online dashboard, which displays buildings’ heating, cooling and electricity, the cost of that energy use and CO2 emissions, will encourage students to conserve.
The University of Arizona says it hopes to link all campus buildings to the online system by 2013.
In a similar approach to encouraging conservation, Cleantech software company Lucid and HonestBuildings.com partnered to provide real-time energy usage for thousands of commercial buildings across the US. The partnership allows anyone to type in an address and access performance data for buildings listed on the HonestBuidlings.com platform, which provide information including square footage, EnergyStar and LEED certifications, building ownership and management, and the projects and renovations that have been performed on a building.
In August, 10 Starbucks coffee shops began a pilot program using Lucid’s Building Dashboard in an attempt to change employee’s energy-related behavior.
Earlier this month, Powerhouse Dynamics released a new version of its eMonitor mobile app for the iPhone and Android platforms, which enables users to see real-time equipment operating profiles. For example, a facility manager who receives a report of a malfunctioning roof-top HVAC unit can view the status of the unit via a smartphone to determine the best course of action for resolving the issue.
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How to Reduce Cost by Increasing Accountability for Energy Efficiency
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems