UC San Diego Nets $7.2 Million in Energy Efficiency Incentives
San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) presented the University of California San Diego with a $7.2 million check representing energy efficiency incentives earned through implementation of 30 energy efficiency projects from 2010 to 2012. The total amount includes incentives earned by UC San Diego for energy efficiency efforts in 2010 ($330,000), 2011 ($2.5 million) and 2012 ($4.4 million).
Through the 30 projects implemented during the three-year period, UC San Diego has saved more than 21 million kWh and 2.1 million therms and has reduced more than 2 MW of demand.
UC San Diego was recently honored as the Grand Champion in SDG&E’s Energy Champion awards for implementing energy-efficiency measures to optimize energy performance across the campus.
Optimizing facilities is a high priority at UC San Diego, with all new construction targeting LEED Silver certification or higher. The campus is already home to 14 buildings that have met this certification. Renewable energy sources are also a critical component in the UC San Diego campus infrastructure.
UC San Diego and SDG&E are partners through the University of California/California State University/Investor Owned Utility Energy Efficiency Partnership program (UC/CSU/IOU Energy Efficiency Partnership) – a statewide program that includes the 33 UC and CSU campuses served by the four California investor-owned utilities. The partnership aims to achieve cost-effective, immediate and persistent peak energy savings support for campuses in completing energy efficiency projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The utilities work with campuses to achieve goals of the UC Sustainability Policy and UC San Diego’s Climate Action Plan.
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards