UK Implements Plan to Maintain Energy Security
The UK is rated among the most energy secure countries in the world, but over the next decade the country’s energy security is likely to deteriorate because global demand is increasing and the UK’s North Sea reserves are declining. Although there has been a record $75.5 billion invested in Britain’s electricity sector since 2010, and investment in renewable energy is at record levels, investment in the UK’s electricity market has been historically low.
As a precaution against a predicted energy crunch this winter, National Grid has been working with the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets to put in place new balancing measures that focus on increasing supply and reducing demand during peak periods.
On the supply side, National Grid is implementing plans to bring mothballed power plants back on line and extend the lives of existing, older power plants. On the demand side, National Grid will extend existing demand measures to reward large energy users who have the flexibility to reduce their use of power at peak times.
Participation is voluntary, and companies that participate will get a payment for doing so.
The United States has a similar concern for the security of its electric grid. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has directed the North American Electric Reliability Corporation to develop standards that address physical security risks and vulnerabilities of the nation’s power grid.
FERC’s directive comes after Jon Wellinghoff, a former FERC chairman, told the Wall Street Journal he was concerned that the nation’s electric grid isn’t adequately protected against attacks.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Practical Guide to Transforming Energy Data into Better Buildings
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management