UK Utilities, Consumers Brace for Price Hikes
The hikes come from rising wholesale gas prices as well as a carbon price floor imposed by the government.
Steep wholesale gas prices are blamed for energy price increases being implemented in the next two months by Britain’s big power providers. Added to that, in 2013, prices in Britain will increase when tighter requirements under the EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) kick in, along with a domestic tax.
In the early years of ETS, many of the EU’s 11,700 utilities and industrial firms took advantage of free permits if they exceeded the set caps. But in 2013, the companies will have to pay if they exceed carbon limits. This could cost cost companies up to 1.47 billion pounds in 2013 compared to 326 million pounds in 2011, according to research from Reuters.
Things will be even tougher for UK companies compared to their EU counterparts. From April 2013, UK generators will pay an additional fee based on a government price floor. Some of this expense will be passed on to consumers.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Combined Heat and Power
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management