University of Maryland Medical System Installs 3.66 MW Solar
The University of Maryland Medical System, Constellation and Bithenergy completed a 3.66 MW DC, grid-connected, solar generation project in Somerset County, Md.
The solar system comprises about 15,540 PV panels, located on 25 acres. The system is expected to generate about 4.7 million kWh in its first year of operation.
The electricity generated by the solar panels is purchased by the 12-hospital University of Maryland Medical System under a 20-year power purchase agreement with Bithenergy. As part of its purchase agreement, the hospital system receives solar renewable energy credits that help satisfy Maryland’s Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard requirements.
The solar project was initially developed by Bithenergy, Chesapeake Renewable Energy and Smart Energy Capital. Belectric provided engineering, procurement and construction services. Constellation financed, owns and operates the solar power system.
To date, Constellation has developed more than 30 MW of solar for Maryland customers, roughly 40 percent of the state’s estimated 74 MW of solar installations.
Last year, the town of Rock Hall, Md., opened its third new net-metered solar array, which was installed by Standard Solar and will be owned and operated by Washington Gas Energy Systems. The 1.26 MW Rock Hall solar system is Kent County’s second solar project to make use of Maryland’s new aggregate, net-metering law that allows one solar system to serve facilities at various locations.
Maryland is also developing its geothermal energy resources, according to column yesterday in Energy Manager Today.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Top 5 Things You Should Know about Big Energy Data
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- LED Myths and Facts
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts