University of Maryland Medical System Installs 3.66 MW Solar
The University of Maryland Medical System, Constellation and Bithenergy completed a 3.66 MW DC, grid-connected, solar generation project in Somerset County, Md.
The solar system comprises about 15,540 PV panels, located on 25 acres. The system is expected to generate about 4.7 million kWh in its first year of operation.
The electricity generated by the solar panels is purchased by the 12-hospital University of Maryland Medical System under a 20-year power purchase agreement with Bithenergy. As part of its purchase agreement, the hospital system receives solar renewable energy credits that help satisfy Maryland’s Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard requirements.
The solar project was initially developed by Bithenergy, Chesapeake Renewable Energy and Smart Energy Capital. Belectric provided engineering, procurement and construction services. Constellation financed, owns and operates the solar power system.
To date, Constellation has developed more than 30 MW of solar for Maryland customers, roughly 40 percent of the state’s estimated 74 MW of solar installations.
Last year, the town of Rock Hall, Md., opened its third new net-metered solar array, which was installed by Standard Solar and will be owned and operated by Washington Gas Energy Systems. The 1.26 MW Rock Hall solar system is Kent County’s second solar project to make use of Maryland’s new aggregate, net-metering law that allows one solar system to serve facilities at various locations.
Maryland is also developing its geothermal energy resources, according to column yesterday in Energy Manager Today.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing