University of Maryland Medical System Installs 3.66 MW Solar
The University of Maryland Medical System, Constellation and Bithenergy completed a 3.66 MW DC, grid-connected, solar generation project in Somerset County, Md.
The solar system comprises about 15,540 PV panels, located on 25 acres. The system is expected to generate about 4.7 million kWh in its first year of operation.
The electricity generated by the solar panels is purchased by the 12-hospital University of Maryland Medical System under a 20-year power purchase agreement with Bithenergy. As part of its purchase agreement, the hospital system receives solar renewable energy credits that help satisfy Maryland’s Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard requirements.
The solar project was initially developed by Bithenergy, Chesapeake Renewable Energy and Smart Energy Capital. Belectric provided engineering, procurement and construction services. Constellation financed, owns and operates the solar power system.
To date, Constellation has developed more than 30 MW of solar for Maryland customers, roughly 40 percent of the state’s estimated 74 MW of solar installations.
Last year, the town of Rock Hall, Md., opened its third new net-metered solar array, which was installed by Standard Solar and will be owned and operated by Washington Gas Energy Systems. The 1.26 MW Rock Hall solar system is Kent County’s second solar project to make use of Maryland’s new aggregate, net-metering law that allows one solar system to serve facilities at various locations.
Maryland is also developing its geothermal energy resources, according to column yesterday in Energy Manager Today.
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- Johnson & Johnson: Innovating in Business by Making Sustainability Personal