UPS Integrates Flywheel, Battery Energy Storage for Extended Runtime
Active Power, a manufacturer of uninterruptible power supply (UPS) systems, is now offering an Extended Runtime option on its CleanSource HD UPS that provides operators up to 30 minutes of additional UPS runtime. A secondary energy storage system – such as valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) batteries or Active Power’s CleanSource DC product – supplements the primary flywheel to protect mission critical loads against both short and long term utility outages.
CleanSource HD with the Extended Runtime option is ideally suited for those applications that require longer UPS autonomy for customers who want higher levels of reliability in their electrical design.
The combination of motion technology and battery energy storage enhances system reliability with the flywheel extending the useful life of the battery by eliminating short duration discharges. The flywheel energy storage of CleanSource HD serves as primary backup protection and bridge to generator. Battery backup is available in scenarios where additional runtime is needed to support switching over applications in a cloud or virtualized environment or providing extended response in microgrid applications, as examples.
CleanSource HD with Extended Runtime features battery monitoring software that provides key parameters – alarms and notifications – and can support up to six standard VRLA cabinets or one centralized battery disconnect.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection