US House Passes ‘Tenant Star’ Bill
The US House of Representatives passed two pieces of legislation this week, relating to energy. One would put limits on the EPA’s ability to limit greenhouse gases. The other would encourage commercial building tenants to save energy.
The Energy Efficiency Improvement Act of 2014 – dubbed Tenant Star – sponsored by David McKinley (R-WV) and Peter Welch (D-VT) includes several provisions to save energy in buildings:
- A “Tenant Star” recognition program;
- A provision to encourage benchmarking and public disclosure of energy use in commercial buildings;
- The Energy Efficient Government Technology Act for federal agencies to implement energy-saving information technologies and to improve efficiency of federal data centers.
The House bill has to go through the Senate and be signed by the President to become law. The measures in the House bill also are in the new version of the Senate’s Energy Savings and Industrial Competitiveness Act sponsored by Senators Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) and Rob Portman (R-OH), along with other energy efficiency measures.
The House of Representatives this week also passed the “Electricity Security and Affordability Act,” which would set some restrictions on the power of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to regulate power plant emissions.
Photo: US Capitol via Shutterstock
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- BuildingIQ Security
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement