USDA Offers Money for Rural Energy Efficiency Projects
The US Department of Agriculture is seeking applications to provide assistance to agricultural producers and rural small businesses for energy efficiency and renewable energy projects.
Funding is available from USDA’s Rural Energy for America Program (REAP), which is designed to help agricultural producers and rural small businesses reduce energy costs and consumption.
USDA is accepting the following applications:
- Renewable energy system and energy efficiency improvement grant applications and combination grant and guaranteed loan applications until April 30, 2013;
- Renewable energy system and energy efficiency improvement guaranteed loan only applications until July 15, 2013;
- Renewable energy system feasibility study grant applications through April 30, 2013.
Since the passage of the 2008 Farm Bill and through the end of Fiscal Year 2012, REAP has funded nationwide over 6,800 renewable energy and energy efficiency projects, feasibility studies, energy audits, and renewable energy development assistance projects.
Examples include Edaleen Cow Power, located near Lynden, Wash., which received a REAP loan and grant combination to install an anaerobic digester and sell the resulting electricity to a utility. The project is anticipated to generate 4,635 MWh per year. Manure produced by Edaleen Dairy’s 2,450-head herd is the sole feedstock for the project and the dairy benefits from the bedding byproduct the digester produces.
Also, in Augusta, Wis., farmer Matthew Gabler received a grant to assist in installation of an 11 kW wind turbine to produce approximately 29,000 kWh a year for his farm.
The USDA and the Department of Energy also collaborated to create the State Energy Extension Partnership to equip rural small businesses and households with the efficiency tools, resources and training needed to reduce energy costs.
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- There’s Money in the Trash
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data