USGBC: More Than 4.3 Million People Live, Work in LEED Buildings
The first of three reports in the LEED in Motion series, available exclusively to USGBC member companies, LEED in Motion: People and Progress examines the individuals and organizations that are driving and benefitting from green building.
On top of the roughly 4.3 million people that USGBC estimates live and work in LEED-certified buildings, more than 6.2 million people experience a LEED-certified project every day, the report says.
Currently there are more than 186,000 LEED credential holders using their specialized knowledge of LEED to advance the green building rating system and “adding value to the firms that employ them,” the report says. Outside the US, Canada has the most LEED credential holders with 6,361, followed by South Korea (874) and China (779), the report says.
The 13,000 current USGBC member organizations, ranging from Fortune 100 corporations to small neighborhood businesses, represent 13 million employees and $1.8 trillion in combined revenue, according to the report.
USGBC will release the next two LEED in Motion reports, titled Places and Policies and Impacts and Innovation, later this year.
In January, USGBC released its annual list of the top 10 states plus District of Columbia for new LEED certifications in 2012, and once again, the District of Columbia topped the ranking, with 36.97 square feet of LEED space certified per resident in 2012.
DC has rather unfair advantages of being a city rather than a state and having a high density of large federal buildings. Meanwhile, Virginia moved into the position as the top state, with 3.71 square feet certified per resident in 2012, overtaking Colorado, with 2.10 square feet certified per person.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?