VC Funding for Smart Grid at $81M in Q2 2014, Says Mercom
According to consulting firm Mercom Capital Group, venture capital funding into smart grid companies came in at $81 million in 13 deals in Q2 2014, compared to $101 million in 21 deals in Q1 2014.
In Q2 2014 some top VC deals include: Sunverge Energy, a developer and manufacturer of distributed energy management systems, raised $15 million; On-Ramp Wireless, a developer of wireless energy automation and M2M communications, received $13.6 million in an amended funding round; Gridco Systems, a smart power management technology company for utilities and industrial power consumers, raised $12 million.
Given the convergence of technologies, in 2014 Mercom has expanded its Smart Grid coverage to include Battery/Storage and Energy Efficiency sectors.
Companies in the Battery/Storage space received $90 million in six deals, compared to $180 million in eight deals in Q1.
Energy Efficiency companies raised $113 million in 16 deals in Q2, compared to $156 million in 12 deals in Q1 2014.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management