Verizon Chooses Bloom Energy Fuel Cells
Verizon is installing Bloom Energy fuel cell systems at three of its California-based locations: two call-switching centers in Los Angeles and San Francisco and a data center in San Jose.
Bloom Energy‘s solid oxide fuel cells are expected to generate more than 16 million kWh each year.
The installation is part of Verizon’s plan, announced in April, to invest $100 million in a solar and fuel-cell energy projects that will help power 19 of the company’s facilities in California and six other states across the country: Arizona, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and North Carolina. When completed next year, the project will enable Verizon to generate more than 90 million kWh annually.
Verizon’s strategy of generating power on site at the point of consumption and using renewable energy technologies will advance its goal of cutting its worldwide carbon intensity by 50 percent by 2020.
As an early adopter of fuel cell technologies, Verizon currently operates one of the largest fuel cell sites of its kind that helps power a call-switching center and office building in Garden City, NY. Verizon also uses 26 solar-assisted cell sites in remote areas in the western United States to help power a portion its wireless network.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement