Verizon Nearly Doubles On-Site Solar
Verizon will invest about $40 million to expand the on-site green energy program that it launched in 2013. This year, Verizon will install 10.2 MW of new solar power systems at eight Verizon network facilities in five states – California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. This investment nearly doubles the amount of solar energy installed at six Verizon facilities last year.
With the 2014 solar investment just announced, Verizon is on target to deploy upward of 25 MW of renewable energy upon completion of the new solar projects.
With the new solar, the Solar Energy Industries Association projects that Verizon will be among the top 20 of all companies nationwide in terms of the number of solar installations it operates, and one of the top 10 companies in the US based on solar generating capacity.
Verizon contracted with SunPower to design and install all of the solar systems. The new equipment, consisting of high-efficiency rooftop, parking-structure and ground-mounted solar photovoltaic systems, will vary from site to site.
Last year, the company exceeded its 10 MW green-energy target, and has currently deployed 14.2 MW of on-site green energy using a combination of fuel cells and solar power systems.
Verizon invested in one of the largest fuel cell sites of its kind in 2005 – helping to power a call-switching center and office building in Garden City, NY. Verizon also uses 26 solar-assisted cell sites in remote areas in the western United States to help power its wireless network.
In addition to various solar and fuel cell installations at Verizon data centers, the company has also implemented better cooling efficiency and energy-consumption reduction measures in its data centers. In 2009, Verizon developed new standards for energy consumption on select telecom equipment, with a target of 20 percent greater efficiency.
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape