Vieste Hires Firm to Design 100% Renewable Energy Data Centers
Vieste Energy engaged Environmental Systems Design (ESD) to perform design services for a portfolio of 10-12 data centers that will be run on 100 percent renewable energy. Vieste declined to name its client, but said the first site is in Phoenix.
These data center facilities will be supported by the co-development of 8-15 MW of power generated from gasification based waste-to-energy facilities. The power will be produced from a turbine generator that feeds the facility; the turbine to run off of methane from a nearby landfill, according to a spokesman for Vieste. The power system will also produce chilled water for use in the data centers.
This portfolio of renewable energy power generation facilities coupled with environmentally friendly solid waste management creates a very low PUE and a negative carbon footprint.
The first phase of this portfolio power development is funded and under way, according to Vieste.
Photo courtesy of ESD: Artist’s rendering of prototype Vieste facility
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Practical Guide to Transforming Energy Data into Better Buildings
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers