Vieste To Build Data Centers Running Only On Renewable Energy
Investment company Vieste Energy has asked Environmental Systems Design to design a network of green data centers that will run entirely on renewable energy, which could herald a new era for data center power management, Sustainable Business reports.
Until now, tech majors like Apple and Google have built data centers that combine renewable sources of power, but there aren’t many centers that run completely on renewable resources – they find it easier to focus on improving energy efficiency than powering up solely with green energy.
Vieste’s plans call for a waste-to-energy facility to be co-located next to each data center, tapping local waste streams for biogas. The biogas generator will vary from 8 MW to 15 MW and will supply both the data storage inside the centers as well as the chilling systems.
The first of the planned data centers will be built in Glendale, Ariz., on 8.5 acres of land, and Vieste has signed an agreement with the city to source 180,000 tons of residential municipal waste that will generate 14 MW of biogas.
Sustainable Business reports that green data centers are a growing trend, given that the centers consume 2 percent of the world’s energy and their energy consumption is growing at the rate of 12 percent each year.
In January, Green Grid published a white paper about how Eco Mode can improve data center efficiency and overall power usage effectiveness (PUE) when appropriately deployed. The Evaluation of Eco Mode in Uninterruptible Power Supply Systems also makes recommendations regarding other power distribution equipment to ensure a reliable power system.
Image credit: Vieste Energy
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- 4 Reasons Operations Teams Can’t Live Without Real-Time Building Data
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management