Vikram Solar Lands Floating Solar Plant Deal
The 15-kilowatt pilot plant, which aims to study whether placing a solar installation above water will boost generation by cooling the panels, will be constructed by December, reported Bloomberg News. The 20,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity generated annually will be sold to the grid 8.9 rupees a unit.
The 2 million rupee ($32,700) project will be financed by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, reported Bloomberg News.
Floating PV systems could save the cost of buying land and reduce the evaporation of valuable water resources.
The technology involves installing solar panels on floating platforms that are securely anchored to prevent excessive swaying.
In July, India’s National Hydro Power Corporation (NHPC) announced it would set up a 50 MW solar PV installation to float on water in the southern state of Kerala. NHPC hired the local Renewable Energy College, which developed the technology, to implement the project.
Image: Vikram Solar
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management