Virginia Apartments Showcase Energy-Efficient, Self-Cleaning Glass
The Radius Urban Apartment complex (pictured) in Newport News, Va., is the largest single installation of windows fabricated with Solarban 70XL glass and SunClean self-cleaning glass by PPG Industries, according to the company.
Project architect Grey Mason of Cox Kliewer & Co. says the owner/developer of the Radius apartment complex chose windows made with Solarban 70XL and SunClean glasses to achieve Energy Star certification and reduce maintenance costs.
Solarban 70XL glass is a transparent solar-control, low-emissivity glass with visible light transmittance of 64 percent and a solar heat-gain coefficient of .27 in a standard 3/4-inch residential insulating glass unit.
By transmitting high levels of daylight while blocking the sun’s heat energy, windows made with Solarban 70XL glass can reduce summer cooling costs by as much as 25 percent, the company says. During winter months, Solarban 70XL glass can cut furnace heat loss through windows in half, which can lower heating bills.
SunClean glass is formulated with a proprietary coating that becomes photocatalytic and hydrophilic after prolonged exposure to sunlight. Photocatalysis enables the coating to gradually break down organic materials that land on its surface, while hydrophilicity causes water to sheet when it strikes the coating so that decomposed materials are naturally rinsed away when it rains.
Mason says the windows, which were fabricated by Newark, Del.-based BF Rich Windows & Doors provide “eco-friendly” advantages that are marketable to potential tenants: they lower energy costs and tenants like clean windows.
The Radius apartment complex offers other energy-saving and environmentally friendly features such as variable-refrigerant HVAC systems, electric car charging stations, Energy-Star certified clothes washers, low-VOC interior paints, water-efficient plumbing fixtures, programmable thermostats and on-site recycling services.
The windows fabricated by BF Rich with Solarban 70XL/SunClean glass are certified by the National Fenestration Rating Council under Certified Products Directory number 1-00217-00002. Whole-window performance data for the window assembly shows a SHGC of 0.15, VLT of 0.34 and a U-factor of 0.22. Design pressure is 55, and the condensation resistance factor is 51.
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Building Energy Intelligence
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 4 Reasons Operations Teams Can’t Live Without Real-Time Building Data
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management