Virginia Apartments Showcase Energy-Efficient, Self-Cleaning Glass
The Radius Urban Apartment complex (pictured) in Newport News, Va., is the largest single installation of windows fabricated with Solarban 70XL glass and SunClean self-cleaning glass by PPG Industries, according to the company.
Project architect Grey Mason of Cox Kliewer & Co. says the owner/developer of the Radius apartment complex chose windows made with Solarban 70XL and SunClean glasses to achieve Energy Star certification and reduce maintenance costs.
Solarban 70XL glass is a transparent solar-control, low-emissivity glass with visible light transmittance of 64 percent and a solar heat-gain coefficient of .27 in a standard 3/4-inch residential insulating glass unit.
By transmitting high levels of daylight while blocking the sun’s heat energy, windows made with Solarban 70XL glass can reduce summer cooling costs by as much as 25 percent, the company says. During winter months, Solarban 70XL glass can cut furnace heat loss through windows in half, which can lower heating bills.
SunClean glass is formulated with a proprietary coating that becomes photocatalytic and hydrophilic after prolonged exposure to sunlight. Photocatalysis enables the coating to gradually break down organic materials that land on its surface, while hydrophilicity causes water to sheet when it strikes the coating so that decomposed materials are naturally rinsed away when it rains.
Mason says the windows, which were fabricated by Newark, Del.-based BF Rich Windows & Doors provide “eco-friendly” advantages that are marketable to potential tenants: they lower energy costs and tenants like clean windows.
The Radius apartment complex offers other energy-saving and environmentally friendly features such as variable-refrigerant HVAC systems, electric car charging stations, Energy-Star certified clothes washers, low-VOC interior paints, water-efficient plumbing fixtures, programmable thermostats and on-site recycling services.
The windows fabricated by BF Rich with Solarban 70XL/SunClean glass are certified by the National Fenestration Rating Council under Certified Products Directory number 1-00217-00002. Whole-window performance data for the window assembly shows a SHGC of 0.15, VLT of 0.34 and a U-factor of 0.22. Design pressure is 55, and the condensation resistance factor is 51.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- LED Myths and Facts
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing