Virginia Apartments Showcase Energy-Efficient, Self-Cleaning Glass
The Radius Urban Apartment complex (pictured) in Newport News, Va., is the largest single installation of windows fabricated with Solarban 70XL glass and SunClean self-cleaning glass by PPG Industries, according to the company.
Project architect Grey Mason of Cox Kliewer & Co. says the owner/developer of the Radius apartment complex chose windows made with Solarban 70XL and SunClean glasses to achieve Energy Star certification and reduce maintenance costs.
Solarban 70XL glass is a transparent solar-control, low-emissivity glass with visible light transmittance of 64 percent and a solar heat-gain coefficient of .27 in a standard 3/4-inch residential insulating glass unit.
By transmitting high levels of daylight while blocking the sun’s heat energy, windows made with Solarban 70XL glass can reduce summer cooling costs by as much as 25 percent, the company says. During winter months, Solarban 70XL glass can cut furnace heat loss through windows in half, which can lower heating bills.
SunClean glass is formulated with a proprietary coating that becomes photocatalytic and hydrophilic after prolonged exposure to sunlight. Photocatalysis enables the coating to gradually break down organic materials that land on its surface, while hydrophilicity causes water to sheet when it strikes the coating so that decomposed materials are naturally rinsed away when it rains.
Mason says the windows, which were fabricated by Newark, Del.-based BF Rich Windows & Doors provide “eco-friendly” advantages that are marketable to potential tenants: they lower energy costs and tenants like clean windows.
The Radius apartment complex offers other energy-saving and environmentally friendly features such as variable-refrigerant HVAC systems, electric car charging stations, Energy-Star certified clothes washers, low-VOC interior paints, water-efficient plumbing fixtures, programmable thermostats and on-site recycling services.
The windows fabricated by BF Rich with Solarban 70XL/SunClean glass are certified by the National Fenestration Rating Council under Certified Products Directory number 1-00217-00002. Whole-window performance data for the window assembly shows a SHGC of 0.15, VLT of 0.34 and a U-factor of 0.22. Design pressure is 55, and the condensation resistance factor is 51.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement