Walgreens Installs Solar at 200 More Stores
Walgreens, together with Chicago-based solar developer SoCore Energy, will build more than 200 new solar installations at Walgreens drugstores throughout California, Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York.
This latest expansion will bring the number of completed solar installations at Walgreens stores to more than 350 of its more than 8,000 stores.
The upcoming rollout will produce an estimated 13.5 million kWh annually.
Included in the rollout is the Walgreens net-zero energy, LEED Platinum store in Evanston, Ill., which will feature more than 850 roof-top solar panels.
Walgreens will host the solar arrays, and SoCore Energy will own, operate, and maintain them. This model has proven to be successful for the two Illinois-based companies since 2011, when the two collaborated on a 53-store rollout across the state of Ohio.
Walgreens currently operates three stores that have achieved a LEED certification level of gold, silver and certified; a store in Oak Park, Ill., using geothermal energy; a distribution center in Waxahachie, Texas, that generates energy though the use of wind; and 400 locations with electric vehicle charging stations.
Walgreens drugstores use 25 watt fluorescent lamps, LED cooler and freezer lighting and energy management systems in more than 5,000 locations.
Through the US Department of Energy’s Better Buildings Challenge, Walgreens has committed to a chainwide 20 percent energy reduction by 2020.
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability