Walmart Expands Relationship with SolarCity
Walmart hired SolarCity for the installation of new solar projects at facilities in up to 36 states over the next four years.
SolarCity has completed more than 200 solar projects at Walmart locations since 2010. SolarCity has also installed and tested energy storage projects co-located with solar power generation at 13 Walmart facilities since early 2013, and will be incorporating 10 additional storage projects in the next year.
Since the company’s last announcement in 2013, SolarCity has installed nearly 50 solar projects for Walmart including:
Arizona – 10 carport and 2 rooftop projects totaling more than 5 MW
California – 12 rooftop and 3 carport projects totaling 6.3 MW
New York – 4 rooftop projects totaling 1.6 MW
Oregon – 3 rooftop projects totaling 283 kW
Puerto Rico – 13 rooftop projects totaling 2.9 MW.
Walmart is also at the forefront of commercializing storage technology and was a pilot customer for SolarCity’s energy storage system for businesses. Since early 2013, Walmart has tested 13 battery storage projects with solar installations across California to provide stored electricity to lower peak demand charges. The next 10 solar energy storage projects will each use a larger battery, expanding battery storage capabilities as well as further reducing energy expense.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year