Walmart is Top Corporate Solar User in US
According to the third annual Solar Means Business report, which was released by the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), the top corporate solar user in the US is Walmart for the third year in a row with 105 MW installed at 254 locations.
Rounding out the Top 25 companies utilizing solar are Kohl’s, Costco, Apple, IKEA, Macy’s, Johnson & Johnson, Target, McGraw Hill, Staples, Campbell’s Soup, U.S. Foods, Bed Bath & Beyond, Kaiser Permanente, Volkswagen, Walgreens, Safeway, FedEx, Intel, L’Oreal, General Motors, Toys “R” Us, Verizon, White Rose Foods, Toyota and AT&T.
The Top 25 companies for solar capacity have more than 569 MW of solar PV at 1,110 different facilities as of August 2014 – a 28 percent increase over a year ago and a 103 percent increase since 2012, when the first report was released.
The average price of a completed commercial PV project in Q2 2014 has dropped by 14 percent year over year and by more than 45 percent since 2012.
Walmart added another 15 MW in the past year. Target moved from 16th to 8th with the addition of 15 new solar systems. IKEA leads all companies in the percentage of its facilities that are solar powered, with nearly 9 out of 10 stores now utilizing solar energy. General Motors is next in line at 43 percent.
According to the report, the growing adoption of solar by the commercial sector is predominantly the result of consistent price declines. The average price of a completed commercial PV project in Q2 2014 has dropped by 14 percent year over year and 45 percent since 2012.
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management