Wastewater Treatment Facility Switches to Dialight LEDs, Cuts Energy Use 50%
The facility recently upgraded its exterior and site lighting from high-pressure sodium (HPS) and mercury vapor (MV) fixtures to Dialight LED fixtures in an effort to reduce energy use and improve visibility. The HPS and MV fixtures required constant maintenance, generated poor light quality and were more expensive to operated, Dialight said.
The lighting upgrade project, which took five days to complete the installation, is expected to pay for itself in a little more than three years through efficiency improvements, reduced maintenance costs and a local incentive that provided a $5,000 rebate based on energy savings.
The LED lights are expected to last more than 10 years. LED fixtures draw, on average, less than half the wattage of high pressure sodium and mercury vapor, Dialight said.
The lighting upgrade is part of a citywide Climate Action Program to reduce energy use. The wastewater treatment facility replaced 82 fixtures in its solids dewatering building, pre-aeration and tricking filters with Dialight’s DuroSite LED fixtures.
Dialight unveiled a new solid state power supply technology last month that will debut on the company’s line of LED High Bay products for industrial and hazardous location in the second quarter of 2013. The solid state power supply, which has an expected life of 20 years, will be integrated into additional Dialight fixture families this year.
The new power supply will initially improve fixture lumen-per-watt efficiency to more than 110 lm/W, Dialight said.
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management