Wastewater Treatment Facility Switches to Dialight LEDs, Cuts Energy Use 50%
The facility recently upgraded its exterior and site lighting from high-pressure sodium (HPS) and mercury vapor (MV) fixtures to Dialight LED fixtures in an effort to reduce energy use and improve visibility. The HPS and MV fixtures required constant maintenance, generated poor light quality and were more expensive to operated, Dialight said.
The lighting upgrade project, which took five days to complete the installation, is expected to pay for itself in a little more than three years through efficiency improvements, reduced maintenance costs and a local incentive that provided a $5,000 rebate based on energy savings.
The LED lights are expected to last more than 10 years. LED fixtures draw, on average, less than half the wattage of high pressure sodium and mercury vapor, Dialight said.
The lighting upgrade is part of a citywide Climate Action Program to reduce energy use. The wastewater treatment facility replaced 82 fixtures in its solids dewatering building, pre-aeration and tricking filters with Dialight’s DuroSite LED fixtures.
Dialight unveiled a new solid state power supply technology last month that will debut on the company’s line of LED High Bay products for industrial and hazardous location in the second quarter of 2013. The solid state power supply, which has an expected life of 20 years, will be integrated into additional Dialight fixture families this year.
The new power supply will initially improve fixture lumen-per-watt efficiency to more than 110 lm/W, Dialight said.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Approaches to Managing EHS&S Data
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management