Honeywell Helps Western Michigan University Save $250,000 per Year
Honeywell and Western Michigan University launched a two-year research project led by WMU’s Office of Sustainability to determine best practices for engaging students, faculty and staff in trimming energy consumption in buildings. The research project, supported by Honeywell and managed by WMU doctoral student Kate Binder, will explore whether dashboards and other tools that share information on energy use lead to lasting and quantifiable change among occupants.
Honeywell is also making energy-efficiency improvements in more than 50 WMU facilities. The upgrades are expected to trim annual energy consumption by 14,800 million British thermal units (Btu), saving the school nearly $250,000 in projected energy and operating costs each year. The savings are guaranteed by Honeywell under an energy savings performance contract.
In 2011, the university enlisted Honeywell to perform a campus-wide audit to identify changes that could further boost efficiency. The audit uncovered opportunities to enhance lighting, heating and cooling, and automation controls in buildings, and WMU tapped Honeywell to implement the improvements.
These efforts are part of the WMU’s commitment to the American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment and goal of reducing energy use 25 percent by 2020.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement